Hawes Community Primary School

Had I the heavens' embroidered cloths, Enwrought with golden and silver light, The blue and the dim and the dark cloths Of night and light and the half-light, I would spread the cloths under your feet: But I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams. W.B. Yeats

22 May

Silk Painting by Class Three

Class three recently had a wonderful art day and produced this very nice work. At the same time they have learnt a new art technique.

Silk Painting by Class Three on PhotoPeach

25 Responses to “Silk Painting by Class Three”

1. Jade (Middleham school says:

I like this video because the pictures are good.

2. Dear <b>E</b>We really like your silk pantings! We tryed to geuss each panting it was a lot of fun and we giggled! ๐Ÿ™‚ :p I have never done silk paintings before,they look a lot of fun!How did you make them? did you glue them?. They were really cool lookng! Once agian nice silk paintings!From:<i>Olivia,Alyssa,Roman</i>

3. Loved seeing the beautiful silk paintings the class did, wonderful job. Appreciated that you included the steps you took to create them in your slide presentation. I’ve never painted on silk before so this was a treat. As a grandmother of one of Class Connection’s students it’s been a pleasure to visit your blog and see all the fun things you’ve been up to.

4. Tom says:

I thought your paintings were very good. i liked the penguin. .wht type of paint did you use?

5. Riley&Destiny says:

Dear Hawes Comunity Primary School, We liked the shark and the rabbit.We wish we could paint one of those.If we did one we would choose the shark.Do you guys do that often?What is your favorite one?From your friends Destiny and Riley

6. Mary says:

I enjoyed doind the silk paintings. The hardest bit was putting on the gutter. The best bit was painting it.They turned out really well.

7. Libby says:

I realy enjoyed doing slik paintings I liked everyones paintings which painting was your favortite?

8. nicole says:

I think that we all did very well with our slik paintings mine is the peacock feathers and the tiger. Which is your favorite silk painting? My favorite is mine.

9. casslyn says:

WOW!I would realy like to do "silk painting" it looks beautifull I always said i never would want to go to class three but now I am looking forward to it!

10. David Eldridge says:

Thanks Ms V, I know silk paint is simply that, I believe ‘guttering is the correct name the lined frames. It comes in tubes that have to be squeezed. I will check to see what the product name is. Thanks for the kind comments, it’s nice to have an audience.

11. Catherine Vivian says:

Dear Class 3 and Mr E,What amazing pictures! I’ve never heard of silk paints before, or of guttering, at least to do with art. I always thought guttering was just something that was around the roof of a house! Is the guttering done with a special type of paint? I think I’m going to have to investigate this style of painting further. Thank you for sharing it.From,Ms VivianWestern Australia

12. David Eldridge says:

It is so noticeable that lots of mums and dads have a little box of their children’s treasure. Thank you for sharing that.

13. Mrs F says:

I love your designs Class 3 you have obviously worked very carefully on them.I have some silk paintings my boys did at Hawes School,they are nice to keep.

14. Mrs. Watson says:

Dear Mr. E and Year 3,You are all so very talented! Your silk work is spectacular. This is a medium that we have never worked with, but would certainly like to try after seeing your wonderful results.I love the different pictures you drew on the silk and how vibrant the colours are. What will you be doing with the finished products? There is a very talented lady in our town who paints beautiful silk scarves.I look forward to showing your lovely artwork to the 2/3’s!Your friend,Mrs. W

15. David Eldridge says:

It's always nice to know that mums and dads store their children's treasures.

16. Mrs G says:

I Remember doing tie die at school, but I think we only did that because it was in fashion and we had a young trendy teacher, I have some silk paintings my older children made at school about 20 years ago, the colours are still as fresh today as they were when the children brought them home, It will be nice to add J’s to them.

17. David Eldridge says:

Thank you Mrs Bell. I have done batik myself, in India … I was surprisingly good! I will remember where the batik pot is. I was once banned from a plane because I was carrying a batik tool!

18. Mrs Bell says:

Those were beautiful images. I make stained glass windows as a hobby and they showed some lovely designs that I might use for inspiration. What will you try next? – Using glass paints is a very similar technique, but you have to heat the paint to get it to set so it could be dangerous. My class tried batik and that was very successful. We used hot wax to create designs with a paintbrush and then dyed the cloth. If you repeat this 2 or 3 times you can get some nice effects. We also used old embroidery hoops to stretch the cloth to make it easier to hold. If you like I can lend you the batik pot we have here and you can have a try!

19. David Eldridge says:

Thank you for the kind comments. I never think of Australia being cold and wet!ย  As for Melbourne March 1977, Derek Randall 174, Lillee doing his thing and me under the blankets with my transistor radio!

20. Dear Class Three,Here we are in Melbourne on a cold, wet day, eating lunch inside and watching your artworks.We thought they were breathtaking. We loved the way you used guttering and the beautiful colours of the silk paint.We think you will be artists one day!Middle Matters

21. Lyudmila says:

Dear class 3,That was awesome! We really enjoyed watching your fantastic paintings!!!Class 3, Russia

22. David Eldridge says:

We have had to go for mounting on walls, mounting silk takes a very long time. However there is a technique where you can do a colour photocopy on high quality tracing paper and that might work well as it would be translucent. I guess we could also say we have presented the blog on line as well! if only teachers had endless time!

23. Mrs Monaghan says:

Beautiful work, class 3 – you must have to have a steady hand to do the guttering. I think I would find that bit difficult! I like all the different animals you chose to represent – how did you make your choices? Where and how will you display your work?

24. David Eldridge says:

I was hugely impressed with the teacher and children’s work. I am pleased that the instructions helped.

25. MsB says:

These are truly stunning! I really enjoyed looking at your beautiful art work – these pieces must have taken a lot of patience and persistence! They really do look like stained glass windows. You have accompanied your display with a terrific set of instructions as well. Very handy in case someone like me wants to give them a go ๐Ÿ˜‰ Well done!

Translate »