Hawes Community Primary School

Had I the heavens' embroidered cloths, Enwrought with golden and silver light, The blue and the dim and the dark cloths Of night and light and the half-light, I would spread the cloths under your feet: But I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams. W.B. Yeats

21 March

Our first ‘playground songs’ video.

We think it would be very worthwhile to share playground games and songs with each other. 
If anyone would also like to do this please get in touch by leaving a comment below.

We will be posting some more songs and games on Class 3’s page.

</object>

17 Responses to “Our first ‘playground songs’ video.”

1. Emma says:

Dear, Hawes School I love the video of the playground song.It reminds me of songs we do with our hands that rhyme. Sincerley,Emma

2. David Eldridge says:

Practise is the thing Tabitha. Get the rythm and then when you can do it, make up your own simple patterns. Record them post them and most of all have fun. tell Mrs Kistler our skies are grey at the moment… I think you only get blue in California.Mr E

3. Tabitha says:

Dear Haw school, I love your reccess song. I will try to learn it. Any advice? Sincerly, Tabitha

4. Izela says:

Dear Hawes School, I really enjoyed seeing your video and am going to try to learn this clapping song! Keep having fun at school you girsl were awesome.Sincerely, IzelaA 49’er

5. Mrs Ward says:

Fantastic, I hope you won’t mind me showing this to our school in Great Yarmouth. We are thinking about our school rules – Together we can make playtime fun. The assembly is about playing enjoyable games with each other, and this video will help our children.Thank youMrs Ward

6. David Eldridge says:

How nice to think the children are enjoying such old traditions! We have posted a couple on our newshounds page and Mr Salsich has posted a song called Mary Mack. Strangely I am finishing off the day trying to organise our next lot of postxards, thank you so much for starting that ball rolling, the kids really enjoy that physical connection.Mr E

7. SELeakey says:

Hi Hawes and Mr E.It was a VERY wet day here in Invercargill and so all the kids were stuck inside. I showed the class your video while they were eating their lunch in the classroom and they thought it was great. I then had a queue of children who wanted to practice with me and then several children had a go by themselves too. What a great way to spend our wet lunchtime. Thanks for sharing and we look forward to seeing some more soon hopefully.Miss. Leakey and The Pirates

8. David Eldridge says:

There are a few schools that this video has stirred memories for. I like the idea of these songs having a history and taking on a life of their own. Mr Salsich’s post of Mary Mack is quite delightful. I wonder why these songs really are more routed with the girls?Mr E

9. Mrs. Hembree says:

Dear Mr. E, Watching the video of the girls singing their playground song brought back lots of memories! I Used to sing this same song when I was a young girl. We used also sing Miss Mary Mack, but I don’t know if the girls sing that one anymore. We are on our spring vacation, but I will ask the girls if they know any songs when we get back. Perhaps we will video tape them too and share with you. I used to teach my 1st grade students these songs because they are really great for helping with developing reading skills, but that’s a whole different story. I also enjoyed watching the other movies about potatoes, photos and gymnastics!From,Mrs. Hembree

10. David Eldridge says:

It is great to see that children elsewhere are playing these games. Everything takes time, but I think it will be possible to share some interesting on the games children play.

11. Miss. Leakey says:

What a great song! I was particularly impressed with the last part, it looked quite complicated. I think I would have got quite muddled. I’m going to show this to my class, they will love it – particularly the girls! I only have 4 girls in my class so perhaps they will have to encourage the boys as well.Your project sounds like a great idea – I will have to ask my kids if they have any ideas about games they would like to share.Miss. Leakey

12. Mrs McKenzie says:

Dear Hawes SchoolOn our athletics day I noticed a few of our children playing clapping games, so next week I will see if they are interested in sharing their games! It’s a great idea for a post.We might even have some skipping rhymes as well.It’s amazing how games come in and out of fashion, isn’t it?from Mrs McKenzie

13. Mrs M says:

Class 2 (age 7 – 9 years) had a half term homework to find out about a game their parents played, and teach it to the rest of the class. We had some great games, but we were amazed when one of the games we had played (French skipping with elastics) was being played on a Red Nose Day video of a girl called Sunday at her school in Uganda. We couldn’t believe that they played the same games as us! We would like to share some of the videos we made, too.Mrs M

14. David Eldridge says:

It looks like the whole area of playground games is interesting. Thanks Scoopers.Mr E

15. Claire Bee says:

Yes please… the Scoopers would love to join in on this project! Could we also share the different activities around our school during lunch breaks? Some of the boys would be keen to share the games they get up to as well! 🙂

16. David Eldridge says:

Your reply has put a smile on our faces today. These are old games and maybe this a way of recording a little bit of history? I notice the girls strong accent on words like ‘sailor’. We think hearing the accents from other places will be interesting.We are going to find out if any of the parents, or staff can remember such songs from when they were little.Mr E

17. Mr. Salsich says:

Dear Hawes Community Primary School,That was a fantastic video of a playground song! The last part seemed pretty challenging, but you handled it wonderfully.I think my students (aged 8-9) would definitely be interested in sharing some playground songs. I will show them your excellent video tomorrow and see if they know any good playground songs to share. If so, I’ll record them and post them on our blog with a link back to yours. Thanks for the great idea!From,Mr. Salsich(grade 3 teacher in Connecticut, USA)

Translate »