Hawes Community Primary School

Had I the heavens' embroidered cloths, Enwrought with golden and silver light, The blue and the dim and the dark cloths Of night and light and the half-light, I would spread the cloths under your feet: But I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams. W.B. Yeats

24 May

Mettupalayam School, Tamil Nadu, South India

I created this post in January but perhaps people missed it then, so I am repeating it! This is a school I have been co-directing for 25 years. There is a website for more information and resources www.irdt.co.uk If you click on ‘Gallery’ you will find about 300 annotated photos on Flickr. These photos people are welcome to use for educational purposes. There will be another 100-200 photos posted in the summer. If there are any aspects of the project you’d like to be covered, because it will help with your school project please ask.

This is the best school at recycling I have ever been to!

2 Responses to “Mettupalayam School, Tamil Nadu, South India”

1. David Eldridge says:

thanks Mrs Bell. They do have a different perspective that istrue. They also just use and have a lot less. There is probably a link between how much we have and how much we waste/use. Learning is indeed different. Whilst learning and education are hugely valued in Mettupalayam, viewing all the wonderful blogs that I do, I’d have to say that learning in schools all over the world can be completely inspiring. A nice thing about our link is that it helps us as much as we help them. Friendship of course works both ways, as our friendship with your lovely school illustrates.Mr E

2. Mrs Bell says:

Recycling is so much about attitude and making the most of what you have around you. It’s about being creative and looking at something from a different angle. I love to see the joyful faces from the children in Mettupalayam School. Learning in classrooms in India looks so different to learning here in England – and an awful lot more fun too. It’s great to see a team of people working hard to support a school on the other side of the world and making such a difference to children’s lives.

Translate »