Hawes Community Primary School

Had I the heavens' embroidered cloths, Enwrought with golden and silver light, The blue and the dim and the dark cloths Of night and light and the half-light, I would spread the cloths under your feet: But I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams. W.B. Yeats

12 May

Can You Beat the Record?

Several of the children, mainly girls, in class 3 are very good at Hoola Hooping. 12 hoops is the record so far … we ran out of hoops! We would love to see other schools setting new records in this and other school playground challenges. Is there a champion in your class?

72 Responses to “Can You Beat the Record?”

1. daymen, nick says:

Dear mr.EI like how you did so many hola-hoops. How many hola-hoops were there?` how much practice did it take? it is incredable what you guys did.I can’t do that.are there any other recors you can break?from, nick and daymen

2. Brenda Todd says:

Amber,Thanks for the comment/post. We had lots of fun. It is good exercise. Once we got started we wanted to do it some every day.Keep up your practice too. Roadunnnershttp://brendatodd.edublogs.org/

3. Mrs. Todd says:

Mr. E, <br/> <br/>I am still unable to embed the video so there is a link on our site. I plan on studying more and trying to figure out what I’m doing wrong after this week when I have some extra time. Our final day with students is tomorrow and right now we are into finishing up the year with the students. We have so much paperwork to finish up. I have to admit playing around with the blogging and other technology things to do is a lot more fun but the other has to be done. Have a great rest of the year. Next years blog will get better I hope. I’ve learned a lot just going to different ones and seeing things they are doing. <br/> <br/> <br/> <br/>Click on the link at our blog site and watch the fun they had trying this. <br/> <br/> <br/> <br/>http://brendatodd.edublogs.org/ <br/> <br/> <br/> <br/> <br/> <br/>Brenda Todd <br/>Second Grade Teacher <br/>Rocky River Elementary <br/> <br/>500 N. Rocky River Road, Monroe, NC 28110 <br/>(704) 290-1523 <br/>(704) 290-1395 <br/> <br/>http://rockyriver.ucps.k12.nc.us/ <br/>http://moodle.ucps.k12.nc.us/course/view.php?id=4601 <br/> <br/>Note: All email correspondence to and from this address is subject to public review under the NC Public Records Law. As a result all messages may be monitored by and disclosed to third parties. <br/> <br/>In compliance with federal law, Union County Public Schools administers all educational programs, employment activities and admissions without discrimination against any person on the basis of gender, race, color, religion, national origin, age or disability.

4. David Eldridge says:

19 would be a sensation! Obviously for record purposes we would need to 'see' this, we gasped at the very thought of such a record! I think 3 rotations would be sufficient to claim the record. I love the thought of people working so hard. Actually it is a great form of exercise, so it's healthy too.<div> Now what about that video?</div><div><br></div><div>Mr E<br><br></div>

5. Brenda Todd says:

We practiced several days with our borrowed hula hoops. We had 19 and finally after a few days one fellow did 19 for a short period of time. We had so much fun with this project. We even invited our principal and assistant principal in to try it. They had fun too. Watch our movie to see our FUN. http://brendatodd.edublogs.org/

6. Amber says:

Awesome hulahooping LIVVY! You hula hooped quite a few times. I like to hoola-hoop too. I think I can do as well as you too. Keep up the great hoola hooping.From Amber

7. David Eldridge says:

I will lookout for that and when we return from our holidays, we hope to be setting some new targets!Good luck roadrunners.Mr E

8. Brenda Todd says:

Roadrunners have been busy practicing and had a lot of fun doing it. Watch shortly for a movie or pictures of our attempts. See what we can do!

9. David Eldridge says:

I love the thought of people all over the world trying this! A cooleague has her staff practising. I can only pass on the wisdom that the bigger the hoop, the easier it is said to be!Mr E

10. Brenda Todd says:

So far we haven’t gotten any where near your twelve hula hoops. The Roadrunners continue to try but the most is 2 and 3 for us. We have 10 more days of school to try.

11. David Eldridge says:

You know Daniel and Agatha, I am convinced the record will be broken the first week after the holiday … it could be you!<br>Mr E

12. Daniel and Agatha says:

That is amazing! How do you hula hoop 12 hoops. I am in year 6 and Agatha is in year 3 and we are from St Nicholas C of E Primrary School. Agatha bets nobody in our school can beat you.

13. sophie says:

well done how do you do that?

14. Mrs Bell says:

I can’t believe Mrs Monaghan accepted the challenge. She’s just had all the staff in the hall practising hoola hooping!!

15. miriam says:

wow !!! how long have you been praticing?

16. Brenda Todd says:

Roadrunners are excited to try and see how many we can do. We have now located 14. We will start with a few and try to see how far we go. If it doesn’t rain all next week (which it did most of this week and the fact that we had to be really quiet because the 3rd – 5th graders were taking their EOG’s (end of grade test–a state test that tells if they are ready to move on) we didn’t get out much. We will practice next week and see what we do hopefully by Friday if the weather is good.We did look at your project at your school about the extreme reading. We really liked the elephant picture.

17. David Eldridge says:

I am sure I will hear all about it tonight. I actually discovered someone that was pretty good tonight at my school. I think the record is going to go.Mr E

18. David Eldridge says:

The truth is Ella I can’t hula hoop either!Mr E

19. dan says:

Mrs Eldrige tryed to beat this record with children from our school but failed miserablily !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

20. clayton says:

wow i am amazed that you can hula-hoop with 12 hoops

21. Ellie says:

wowwww pretty impressive i might be able to hoola hoop but i cant do it with 12 i will have to keep practicing

22. jess says:

wow we tried at our school in asembly we had a go with 12 and failed miserably!!im still practising with ONE!!!!!!!!!1

23. Mrs Heptonstall says:

That is very impressive. I used to love hoola hooping! I wonder if if I could do it now.

24. Beverley Dore says:

Well done Libby, from someone who cant even do one hoop,( although I’m pritty good on the wii.)

25. Rachel L says:

LIBBY! 12! Wow I am amazed! I can JUST manage 6! You can do double more than me! I take my hat off to you!!

26. David Eldridge says:

This is a comment from Mrs Monaghan at Middleham School…"Imogen from Middleham School is a top hula-hooper!!! Today at Middleham we tried to beat 12 hula-hoops, but sadly we were unsuccessful… we spent all our playtimes trying (and some of our assembly)! However, we think we may have the edge on length of time hula-hooping and BOY hula hooping! In assembly, we had a comment that ‘hula-hooping is for girls’ which was then swiftly disproven! We have a Class 2 boys hula-hoop squad ready to challenge whenever you like, Mr E… Perhaps we could have a live hula-hoop time challenge when we Skype?!!! "Battling talk Mrs M, really you are so competitive and I expect nothing less. I will chat to the chaps about how long they can Hoola Hoop.Mr E

27. David Eldridge says:

That sounds like a proper job Alexander. Sometimes when I sit on a plane I understand the physics, but I really hope the maintenance crew understand their job too. You can keep a piece of paper stretched out on a pencil. Take a strip of paper about 8cm x 3.5cm roll it up and then slide it down over the top of the pencil. There should be enough roll around the top of the pencil that it can hang if the pencil is held sideways. Holding the pencil upright and arm outstretched, let the paper sit loosely on your fingers that are holding the pencil below it. Now spin around and the paper will pull out like a flag away from a flag pole. This happens because… well you can decide that!This demonstrates one of the key things about the principles of flight.wow I’m glad I didn’t have to describe surgery, because you wanted to be a doctor!Mr E

28. Mrs McLellan says:

Great work with the hula hoops!Could you let Nicole and Mary know that we have received their postcard here (17/5/11) in Kempsey, NSW, Australia. It brings back memories of when I visited the area and went to the Museum and cheese factory. What have you been learning about Australia? People think it is always hot here, but we had frost this morning! Today has been 22 degrees and sunny.

29. imogen from middleham school says:

That was cool i had a go at school with 12 i did not do it.

30. Mrs. Moore says:

Dear Mr. E. and class 3,Wow, how very impressive! 12 hula hoops would be a lot to manage. I love to see you sharing things you enjoy. You all do a great job getting others excited about what you are doing. It seems that everyone wants to join in on the fun. I wonder what other records your classmates can set…Your pals,Mrs. Moore and the Techie Kids

31. David Eldridge says:

I’ll be begging some hoops from Bainbridge School, it was funny when we ran out of hoops! We find that filming from low down is often helpful at school.Mr E

32. Ms Breyley says:

12 – that looks pretty impressive! I don’t think we have 12 hoops but it would be fun to set the challenge of doing it with more than 1. I had wondered why my class had suddenly got much better at hoola hooping and then discovered it it because they all do it with a wii game!Have you been able to get more hoops to see if you can beat the record?Great film too – really clear introduction and shot from a good angle for us to see.

33. David Eldridge says:

I just knew somebody wpuld like this challenge! I will send you the postal address.Hawes CP SchoolTown HeadWensleydaleNorth YorkshireEnglandDL8 3RQ

34. MsB says:

Kiaora from the southern hemisphere! We were so excited by this post on Friday that some Scoopers went out looking for the best hoola hoop challenger we have here. They found a young lady and will upload their video first thing tomorrow morning. We can’t do better than 12 though so need to get training!We have some cards to send your way for you to colour and send back as part of the Rugby World Cup Challenge… Are you up for it? We will send them on Tuesday (your Monday) if you can give us the thumbs up and your postal address 🙂

35. Mrs. Todd says:

We liked your presentation. Was it hard learning to use 12 hula hoops? It looks like it’s fun at your school.We would love to hear more about life at your school, what you are learning about and what it’s like in your country.We are 19 2nd grade students that attend Rocky River Elementary School in Monroe, NC, USA. We are the Roadrunners (our school mascot).We recently started blogging so we are still learning about it. We started one site but it got full so we started at another site that seemed to be more flexible. We did a Flat Stanley project with Yugumbir School in Queensland, Australia. We are also learning about New Zealand. We like learning about other people and places.Check us out at these sites.http://kidblog.org/GoingGlobal/feed/http://brendatodd.edublogs.org/We'd like to hear from you.Mrs. Todd (teacher)

36. Dear Students,Let’s compete! We need a week to practise our skills!!! More soon.Middle Matters in Melbourne

37. daymen, nick says:

38. Brenda Todd says:

39. Mrs. Todd says:

40. David Eldridge says:

41. Brenda Todd says:

42. Amber says:

43. David Eldridge says:

44. Brenda Todd says:

45. David Eldridge says:

46. Brenda Todd says:

47. David Eldridge says:

48. Daniel and Agatha says:

49. sophie says:

well done how do you do that?

50. Mrs Bell says:

51. miriam says:

52. Brenda Todd says:

53. David Eldridge says:

54. David Eldridge says:

55. dan says:

56. clayton says:

57. Ellie says:

58. jess says:

59. Mrs Heptonstall says:

60. Beverley Dore says:

61. Rachel L says:

62. David Eldridge says:

63. David Eldridge says:

64. Mrs McLellan says:

65. imogen from middleham school says:

66. Mrs. Moore says:

67. David Eldridge says:

68. Ms Breyley says:

69. David Eldridge says:

70. MsB says:

71. Mrs. Todd says:

72. Dear Students,Let’s compete! We need a week to practise our skills!!! More soon.Middle Matters in Melbourne

Translate »